Monday 4 July 2011

Peter Falk, 1927-2011

A quick sketch of Peter Falk, just to say cheerio to him.





I don't remember the first time I saw an episode of  Columbo, but I remember that even from a young age, any time I saw it was on TV, I'd make sure to watch it if at all possible. Over the years I became a pretty big fan and even now it's one of those shows I can put on at almost any time and enjoy it. I loved catching one with a guest murderer I recognised, like Patrick McGoohan, Johnny Cash or William Shatner; but really the main reason to watch it was Peter Falk. He was such a charismatic screen presence and any time I saw him in anything, Columbo or otherwise, it was always a treat. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I love watching his performances. I remember when I heard that he was suffering from Alzheimer's, which seemed to happen so suddenly, and being so sad that we wouldn't be seeing him act in anything new ever again.

In a way it's unfortunate that most people only know him as Columbo, but he leaves behind a wealth of performances that speak for themselves, not to mention his drawings and paintings. An incredibly talented, very funny and charismatic guy. He'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment